ISSN : 0975-9492
CODEN : IJPSQQ





INTERNATIONAL JOURNAL OF PHARMA SCIENCES AND RESEARCH


Open Access

This website is certified by Health On the Net Foundation. Click to verify.

This site complies with the HONcode standard for trustworthy health information:
verify here.

ABSTRACT

Title : Assessment on the prevalence and contributing factors of social drugs utilization among university of Gondar regular undergraduate students, maraki campus, 2013.
Authors : Desalegn Birara Mamo, Deribew Abebaw Abuhay, Belayneh Kefale Gelaw, Gobezie Temesgen Tegegne3
Keywords : Social drugs, utilizer, drug abuse, contributing factors, Gondar
Issue Date : August 2014
Abstract :
Introduction: According to WHO expert committee on drug dependence, drug abuse is persistent or sporadic excessive drug use in consistence with all unrelated to medical practice. Substances of abuse include controlled drugs (under international law) and other substance with abuse potential but not subjected to international controls such as alcohol, khat, tobacco, and volatile substances. Social drug utilization has a negative impact on health and economic development of an individual and a country as a whole. Especially youngsters, who are the most productive section of the population, are suffering from the negative consequences of social drugs utilization. The objective of this study is to assess the prevalence and contributing factors of social drugs utilization in university of Gondar regular undergraduate students, Maraki campus, in 2013 academic year. The study design employed was mixed type where quantitative data was emphasized and the qualitative data was used to illustrate the quantitative data. Descriptive survey method using questionnaires, key informant interview and focus group discussion (FGD) was conducted to collect the data. Utilization of social drugs among regular students of different departments of Maraki campus of University of Gondar was assessed using cross sectional study in 2013.
Results: From a total of 682 respondents the majority 429(62.9%) were found as utilizers and the rest 253(37.1%) as non utilizers. Regarding contributing factors the result of this study showed that relaxation 125(29.1%), to increase performance 63(14.7%), and peer pressure 53(12.4%) were the major contributing factors for studentsí social drugs utilization.
The prevalence of social drugs utilization was high (62.9%). Although the majority of utilizers started utilization before they join campus, peer pressure had a statistically significant association with social drugs utilization. All the concerned bodies should take part and work hand in hand in controlling and reducing the problem.
Page(s) : 518-530
ISSN : 0975-9492
Source : Vol. 5, No.8